In reviewing the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card, we’ve taken a close look at what sets this card apart in Singapore’s competitive credit card market. With its emphasis on high rewards earn rates, the card stands out as an optimal choice for consumers looking to maximize their spending benefits in specific categories. This card provides key advantages, particularly for digital and contactless transactions, making it a potentially valuable tool in the arsenal of tech-savvy spenders who prefer to transact online or through contactless means.
Our examination reveals that the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card does not just excel with its rewards program; it also fits seamlessly into a broader card strategy. The ability to pool points with other UOB cards, such as the UOB PRVI Miles or UOB Visa Signature, can amplify the rewards potential for cardholders, allowing them to earn high miles per dollar on a significant portion of their spending. However, when considering this card, it is also important to understand the accompanying fees and charges, as well as the best practices for card usage, to fully leverage its benefits without incurring unwanted costs.
- The UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card offers high rewards earn rates, particularly for online and contactless payments.
- Points pooling with other UOB cards enhances the card’s value proposition for rewards maximization.
- Conscious usage and understanding of the card’s fee structure are crucial for optimizing benefits.
In our analysis of the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card, we find it noteworthy for its high rewards rate on specific spending categories.
- Rewards on Spend: Earn up to 4 miles per dollar (MPD) for online spending and offline contactless payments, excluding travel.
- Rewards Program: Points can be redeemed for gifts, vouchers, air miles, or cashback through the UOB rewards catalogue.
- Annual Fee: S$192.60, which is waived for the first year.
- Minimum Age: 21 years
- For citizens and PRs: at least S$30,000 annually
- For foreigners: at least S$80,000 annually
Rewards and Benefits
Our review of the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card focuses on its strong rewards and benefits that cater to savvy spenders who seek to maximize their earnings on everyday transactions.
- Online Shopping and Entertainment: Earn up to UNI$10 for every S$5 spent on selected online transactions. This encompasses a wide range of online shopping categories, including apparel, electronics, and groceries, as well as entertainment and ticketing.
- Mobile Contactless Payments: Get a similar return on mobile contactless payments, with up to UNI$10 per S$5 spent through various mobile payment platforms.
- Annual Fee Waiver: The first year’s annual fee of S$194.40 is waived, allowing cardholders to benefit from the rewards program cost-free initially.
- Supplementary Card Waiver: The fee for the first supplementary card is waived in perpetuity, which can extend the card’s benefits to family members without additional costs. Subsequent cards carry a fee of S$97.20 annually.
- Cashback with UOB$: Card users can earn UOB$ cashback on purchases at over 1,000 participating merchants across Singapore, which can be used to instantly offset future purchases.
Understanding the Points System
In our comprehensive look at the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card, we focus on how you can maximize your gains through its points system. Here, we’ll breakdown how points are earned and the various methods for redemption.
- Online and Contactless Spendings: For every S$1 spent online or via offline contactless payments, cardholders earn 4 miles, which is equivalent to 2 UNI$.
- General Spendings: A general spend will net users 0.4 miles per S$1, equaling 1 UNI$.
|Online & Contactless
|2 UNI$ per S$1
|4 miles per S$1
|1 UNI$ per S$1
|0.4 miles per S$1
Points accumulated can be converted in a few ways:
- Gifts and Vouchers: Use points to claim rewards from UOB’s extensive catalogue.
- Air Miles: Exchange points for air miles to save on future travel.
- Cashback: Points can also be redeemed for cashback, giving a statement credit on your account.
The conversion rate and other terms for redemption are subject to change, so it’s imperative to stay updated with UOB’s policy.
Fees and Charges
Understanding the fees and charges associated with the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card is essential for making an informed decision. We provide specific details on annual fees and foreign transaction fees to help you manage your finances effectively.
- Primary Card Fee: S$194.40, waived for the first year
- Supplementary Card Fees:
- First card: Free forever
- Second and subsequent cards: S$97.20 each per year
Foreign Transaction Fees
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 3.25% of the transaction amount
Card Usage Tips
We focus on using the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card effectively, ensuring that you earn maximum rewards while avoiding common pitfalls that can reduce benefits.
- Online Shopping and Entertainment: For optimal use, we ensure to use the card for all online shopping and entertainment, where it typically offers up to UNI$10 per S$5 spent.
- Mobile Contactless Payments: We take advantage of the card’s features by using contactless payment methods, which also offer up to UNI$10 per S$5 spent. Contactless payments include services like Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.
- Reaching Reward Caps: We are cautious not to exceed the quarterly caps for bonus rewards in certain categories, as this would result in earning lower reward points thereafter.
- Category Restrictions: We pay attention to the specific categories that qualify for the higher rewards rate. Spending on categories outside these specified ones results in earning points at a standard, less favorable rate.
In this section, we examine how the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card stacks up against its peers and competitors. Our aim is to provide a clear distinction of its place in the credit card market.
Against Other UOB Cards
- UOB Visa Signature Card: The UOB Preferred Platinum Visa tends to offer better rewards for local online and contactless spendings, where cardholders earn 4 miles per $1. However, for overseas spending, the UOB Visa Signature Card may be more advantageous, yielding higher rewards rate for foreign currency transactions.
- UOB Lady’s Card: This card caters specifically to women, providing them with flexible rewards based on their chosen spending categories. The UOB Preferred Platinum Visa stands out for its generalized high reward rate, irrespective of the cardholder’s gender and spending habits.
Against Competitors’ Cards
- DBS Woman’s World Card: When compared to its direct competitor, the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa brings competitive rewards, granting 4 miles per $1 spent online and offline, which may be similar to what the DBS Woman’s World Card offers for online expenses.
- Citi Rewards Card: Against a card like the Citi Rewards, which also offers 4 miles per $1 on certain categories, the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa holds its ground with a broader earning strategy, not limited to fashion and retail purchases.
User Reviews and Ratings
When compiling user feedback for the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card, a pattern emerges from the various reviews we’ve analyzed. Cardholders often highlight certain strengths and drawbacks that shape their overall experiences.
- High earn rate: Users consistently praise the 4 miles per dollar awarded on select categories, strengthening its appeal as a daily use card.
- Contactless transactions: Contactless payments are recognized for adding convenience and speed, encouraging a seamless shopping experience.
- Exclusions: Some cardholders have voiced their concerns over exclusions in bonus categories, particularly travel-related online spending.
- Rewards cap: The maximum spend cap for bonus rewards is a noted limitation that users advise to monitor regularly.
|3 stars or below
Cardholders’ satisfaction levels generally hover around the 4-star mark on various review platforms. It’s also common to see reviews suggesting the card for its specific benefits rather than as a one-size-fits-all solution, due to the certain conditions attached to its rewards program.
In gathering these insights, we ensure to provide you with a realistic and straightforward summary of what cardholders are saying. This offers a transparent lens through which potential new users can evaluate the card’s fit for their lifestyle and spending habits.
When evaluating the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card, we consider its position as a robust entry-level option in the Singaporean credit card market. The card’s requirement of a S$30,000 annual income makes it accessible, while the alternative of a S$10,000 fixed deposit for a secured version is a practical approach for those unable to meet the income threshold.
- Income Requirement: S$30,000 (or fixed deposit alternative)
- Annual Fee: S$192.60, typically waived for the first year
- Rewards Cap: UNI$2,000 per month
Our analysis identifies its strengths in rewarding cardholders for everyday spending. Earning 4 miles per S$1 on daily essentials, including dining, groceries, and mobile contactless payments, is competitive. Online shoppers are also well-served, maximizing rewards on their purchases. However, we note the monthly rewards cap of UNI$2,000, which equates to 4,000 miles, and we advise cardholders to plan their spending accordingly.
- Optimal For:
- Daily essentials and contactless payments
- Regular online shopping
This card may appeal to those starting on their credit journey or seeking a no-frills card with decent miles earnings. Its understated design belies the value held within—a point of attraction for users favoring substance over style.
In sum, we recognize the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card as a strong contender for those wanting to accrue miles on routine expenditures without the complexity of tiered rewards programs. It’s a practical choice that aligns well with modest spending habits.