In the realm of luxury credit cards, the Citi ULTIMA card has cemented its position as a symbol of exclusivity and premium benefits in Singapore. Tailored for the affluent, this card is not just a financial tool but a statement of lifestyle, offering a repertoire of lavish perks that cater to the discerning tastes of high-net-worth individuals. Its array of benefits ranges from travel rewards to lifestyle services, making it a comprehensive package for those who expect nothing less than the best from their credit card.
Acquiring the Citi ULTIMA card is a process reserved for the elite, with stringent eligibility criteria to ensure exclusivity. Admittance into this upper echelon of credit users comes at a price—both literally and figuratively. The card’s annual fee firmly places it in the upper tier of credit card offerings, reflecting its premium nature. However, upon renewal, members are rewarded with a generous bonus that partially offsets this cost, reaffirming the card’s value proposition for those who make full use of its features.
- The Citi ULTIMA card is a luxury credit card designed for the affluent segment in Singapore.
- Eligibility for the card is restrictive, preserving its exclusivity.
- Ownership of the card entails a high annual fee balanced with a sizeable renewal bonus.
Here are some of our top picks on:
- Review: HSBC Revolution Card Singapore
- Review: UOB Visa Signature Card Singapore
- Review: DBS Altitude Card Singapore
Overview of Citi ULTIMA Card
The Citi ULTIMA Card positions itself as a symbol of luxury and exclusivity, catering to a niche demographic of high-net-worth individuals. As experienced financial analysts, we find that the entry requirements for the Citi ULTIMA Card are stringent, often by invitation only. Our analysis reveals that it mandates a minimum annual income of S$500,000. Furthermore, this card is typically extended to Citigold Private Client members with a minimum Assets Under Management (AUM) of S$1.5 million, or Citi Private members with a minimum AUM of US$10 million.
In our research, we observe the Citi ULTIMA Card’s earning power:
- Local Spend: Earn 1.6 miles per dollar
- Overseas Spend: Earn 2 miles per dollar
The perks of the Citi ULTIMA Card include:
- Access to 1-for-1 hotel nights
- A Companion airfare programme
- Up to three unlimited-visit Priority Pass cards
However, the exclusivity comes with a price point — an annual fee of S$4,237.92, inclusive of a 9% Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is typically non-waivable.
The card’s benefits are well-suited for frequent travelers and those who appreciate luxury experiences, offering unique privileges such as access to luxury private islands and supercar experiences, among others. In terms of positioning, it competes with other ultra-premium cards like the AMEX Centurion Card, UOB Reserve Card, and DBS Insignia Visa Infinite Card.
Key Features and Benefits
The Citi ULTIMA Card caters explicitly to a lifestyle of affluence and exclusivity, offering a suite of features designed to enhance luxury travel and dining experiences. We’ll discuss the rewards system, lounge access, travel, and dining privileges that define the card’s premium offerings.
Our cardholders enjoy a rewarding points system with every purchase.
- Local Spend: Earn 1.6 ThankYou points per S$1 spent locally.
- Overseas Spend: Accrue 2.0 ThankYou points for every S$1 spent overseas.
- Permanence: ThankYou points do not expire, giving you the freedom to accumulate and redeem at your leisure.
Airport Lounge Access
We provide unparalleled access to comfort during travel with our lounge benefits:
- Priority Pass: Receive up to three unlimited-visit Priority Pass cards.
- This access transforms travel into an oasis of relaxation, irrespective of the airline or ticket class.
Our card members enjoy a suite of travel benefits designed to streamline and enhance their journeys:
- Hotel Nights: Book one hotel night and receive one night free under our 1-for-1 hotel night offer.
- Companion Airfare Program: Travel is better shared; our card includes a companion airfare program to make joint travel more accessible.
- Limo Transfers & Fast Track Services: Complimentary airport limo transfers and fast track immigration services afford a seamless and luxurious travel experience.
- A curated selection of dining benefits awaits our cardholders, uplifting each culinary experience to new heights.
- Exclusive offers at top-tier restaurants and bespoke dining privileges ensure every meal is not just a feast for the senses but also a testament to our commitment to exclusivity and prestige.
To apply for the Citi ULTIMA Card, we’ll guide you through the essential steps. It is a straightforward process that primarily involves verifying your eligibility and submitting the necessary documentation.
First, let’s ensure that we meet the qualification requirements:
- Minimum Age: 21 years
- Minimum Income: High income threshold (exact figures vary)
- Credit Score: Good to excellent
We will need the following documents for our application:
- Identification: NRIC or passport
- Income Proof: Latest tax notice of assessment and salary slips
- Employment: Employment letter if necessary
Here’s how we can apply online:
- Visit the official Citibank website.
- Navigate to the ‘Credit Cards’ section.
- Select the Citi ULTIMA Card.
- Click on ‘Apply Now’.
We’ll be prompted to fill in personal details such as:
- Full name
- Contact information
- Employment details
- Financial information
Note: An existing Citibank account could streamline our application.
Once submitted, our application will undergo an approval process. We might be contacted for further verification. On approval, our card will be dispatched, usually within a week or two.
Remember, application times can vary based on individual credit evaluations and document verification. We should be prepared for potential follow-ups or additional information requests.
Annual Fees and Charges
Our examination of the Citi ULTIMA Card reveals an annual fee structured as follows. The primary card has an annual fee of S$4,199.04, this figure includes an 8% Goods and Services Tax (GST). It is important to note that the annual fee for the Citi ULTIMA card is non-waivable.
To contextualize, earning rewards and miles accrues a cost per mile (CPM). While some may assess the value of a card based on CPM alone, our approach considers the comprehensive suite of benefits that accompany the card, offsetting the annual cost to some extent.
The Citi ULTIMA Card is targeted at a high-income clientele, evident from the prerequisites for consideration, which include a minimum annual income and qualifying membership statuses like Citigold Private Client or Citi Private Client.
For your convenience, we have distilled the annual fees information into the following table:
|Annual Fee (Including GST)
|Fee Waiver Available
|Citi ULTIMA Card
It’s imperative that current and prospective cardholders asses their potential for benefit utilization against the annual fees to ascertain the card’s value proposition in their unique financial context.
Comparison With Other Premium Cards
When we examine the Citi ULTIMA Card alongside its counterparts in the high-net-worth segment, it is vital to consider the comprehensive value each card offers. Let’s focus on how the ULTIMA measures up against a selection of similar premium credit cards in the market:
- Lounge Access: Compared to the AMEX Centurion and UOB Reserve cards, the Citi ULTIMA provides relatively less superior lounge access benefits. While all of these cards provide a degree of luxury travel comfort, access privileges can vary significantly.
- Annual Fees and Benefits: A primary differentiator among these cards is the balance of annual fees versus the benefits provided. The Citi ULTIMA Card comes with a hefty annual fee, which is justified by its package of exclusive privileges, similar to its counterparts like the AMEX Centurion Card and DBS Insignia Visa Infinite Card.
- Rewards and Perks:
- Miles: The Citi ULTIMA offers a competitive miles reward program; however, it may not match the offering of cards like the AMEX Centurion in terms of mileage accrual.
- Supplementary Cards: Unlike the UOB Reserve, the Citi ULTIMA may have more favorable terms concerning supplementary cards.
- Hotel Stays: It tends to provide a less restrictive hotel benefit offer compared to some competitors.
Here’s a brief side-by-side comparison:
In summary, the Citi ULTIMA card holds its ground in the realm of luxury credit cards but does not necessarily outshine all competitors in every aspect. Each card targets high-income earners with particular preferences, and the best card for an individual may depend on which benefits align most closely with their lifestyle and needs.
Customer Service and Support
Our experience with the Citi ULTIMA Card customer service team has been noteworthy. We consistently find the Customer Support to be accessible and adaptive to our needs. With various channels available, our queries receive the attention and care that we expect from a premium service.
Phone Banking and Email Support:
- Toll-Free Numbers: Easy access for prompt telephonic solutions.
- Email: Secure and professional communication for detailed inquiries.
We make use of the Citi Mobile® App and Online Banking services for direct and efficient management of our account, which also includes a messaging feature for support. The convenience of these digital platforms allows us to address our needs swiftly, reducing dependence on traditional support systems.
Moreover, for pressing or complex matters, the 24/7 Priority Helpline comes in particularly handy. As high-value customers, we are often given prioritized assistance, which aligns with Citi’s dedication to serving the upper echelons of their clientele.
- Branch Visits: For personalized service.
- By Appointment: Ensuring dedicated time and attention.
Our interactions with Citi Ultima’s customer service consistently reflect the exclusivity and premium nature of the card. We find the staff well-trained — every interaction is met with professionalism and a helpful attitude. Ensuring our satisfaction appears to be their top priority, as should be the case with a service of this caliber.
Pros and Cons of Citi ULTIMA Card
- We enjoy a suite of travel benefits, including 1-for-1 hotel nights and a companion airfare programme, which enhance our experiences while we’re on the move.
- Cardholders have access to up to three unlimited-visit Priority Pass cards, granting us extensive access to airport lounges worldwide, bringing a sense of comfort and luxury to our travels.
- For our local spend, we earn a competitive rate of 1.6 miles per dollar (mpd), and for foreign spend, the rate is even more favourable at 2 mpd.
- Another attractive feature is the non-expiration of Citi ThankYou points, allowing us the flexibility to accumulate miles over time without the pressure of imminent expiry.
- The substantial annual bonus miles offered with card renewal is a highlight for those of us meeting the necessary renewal conditions.
- The card is designed for ultra-high net worth individuals, with a significant minimum annual income requirement to qualify, making it less accessible for a broader audience.
- Despite the promise of luxury, we must consider the card’s implicit lifestyle assumption, which may not align with everyone’s values or spending habits.
- The luxury benefits are balanced with an annual fee that reflects the card’s exclusivity, potentially a downside for those of us who are cost-conscious.
We’ll find that the Citi ULTIMA Card caters mostly to our exclusive luxury needs and high spenders, with a clear set of benefits that reward our lifestyle and travel preferences. However, the costs and qualifications may limit its appeal to a select group within Singapore.
Eligibility and Requirements
When considering the Citi ULTIMA Card, it’s crucial for us to understand the exacting standards set by the bank for potential cardholders. First and foremost, the card is invite-only, indicating that proactive applications are not an option.
Applicants generally must meet the following criteria:
- Annual Income: We see individuals with an annual income north of S$500,000 being approached.
- Banking Relationships: Being a Citigold Private Client with a minimum Asset Under Management (AUM) of S$1.5 million or a Citi Private Banking client is a typical prerequisite, the latter requiring a minimum AUM of US$10 million.
- Spending Habits: A monthly credit card expenditure of at least S$20,000 is expected from potential cardholders.
Memberships are not just a matter of financial metrics but also about the exclusivity and prestige associated with the card. Here’s a quick snapshot of what one should have in their arsenal to be eligible:
|At least S$500,000
|Citigold Private Client
|Min AUM: S$1.5 million
|Citi Private Banking
|Min AUM: US$10 million
|Monthly Credit Card Spend
|At least S$20,000
It’s pertinent to note that the Citi ULTIMA Card targets a niche demographic — individuals who not only possess the financial prowess but also embody the lifestyle that aligns with the card’s luxury status. The card’s offerings are tailored for high net-worth individuals seeking exclusivity and bespoke services.
When assessing the Citi ULTIMA Card, we find its exclusive benefits cater to a very particular demographic—those with a high income and a penchant for luxury travel and services. Highlighting this are perks such as 1-for-1 hotel nights and a companion airfare program, which are attractive for frequent travelers who enjoy upscale experiences.
|1-for-1 hotel nights
|Hefty annual fee
|Companion airfare program
|High eligibility criteria
|Priority Pass with unlimited visits
Our analysis reveals that this card’s value lies predominantly in its travel-related offerings. You enjoy up to three unlimited-visit Priority Pass cards, allowing airport lounge access which adds a layer of comfort to your travel.
However, the card is not without its drawbacks. The annual fee is significant, and its justification hinges on how much you take advantage of the card’s luxury benefits. Additionally, the general eligibility criteria are high, potentially making it inaccessible to many.
In our view, for those who align with the card’s target demographic and will utilize the full spectrum of benefits, the Citi ULTIMA Card could be a beneficial addition to your wallet. For others, the steep costs may outweigh the potential perks. This is a premium card designed with a specific lifestyle in mind, and its advantages are most pronounced for those who live that lifestyle.